So while trying to disable SMB version 1 on my windows machines, I thought what better way than to do it through the registry GPO settings, all machines in one fell swoop. After creating the appropriate registry keys for the machines I thought everything was good. That was until I rebooted. All of the sudden the Workstation service, Netlogon service and DFS Namespace (on my AD Server) failed to start. Nothing I did would start them.
They always gave an error about not being able to start because the group failed to start. I debugged this for days, and finally thought that it was just the one AD box had become corrupted. So I seized all the roles by my other server and then built a new AD and added it to the forest. Well as soon as I rebooted the new FSMO master, it started having the problems the first one did.
By now I was mad. So what was the issue, well, when I created the Registry keys and pushed them I mistakenly set mrxsmb to disabled, instead of mrxsmb10. So on the machine that was broke, I pulled up regedit and set mrxsmb to be enabled and mrxsmb10 to be disabled. I then removed the entries out of the GPO registry entry and then rebooted the machine. This time it booted and Workstation, Netlogon and DFS Namespace all started.
This is the link to use to learn how to disable SMB v1: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/detect-enable-disable-smbv1-smbv2-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows-server